Monday, September 13, 2010

Tournament and More!

Wow, 10 days since I've updated, I'm such a slacker. :)

I missed Monday's practice because I was fully enjoying my Labor Day. Tuesday's practice was a lot of fun. Dizzy led an exercise that we had seen at RollerCon. The first half was off-skates, side shuffle, grapevine, and a football-type drill where one girl stands in the middle, back to the line of girls and trys to booty block them then they run toward her and dodge around. I have to be honest, I was SUPER nervous about the on-skates portion. I hate being the slowest one in a group! But I didn't need to worry, I was right on par with some of the other new girls, and ended up having fun while improving skills. Then an unremarkable scrimmage where I managed not to fall too much!

Wednesday was warmup then scrimmage. Poor Bella forgot ONE of her skates at home in Norman and was using the rental skates which had crud caked on the wheels and aren't great to skate on even when pristine. So I insisted she use my skates for the scrimmage portion (she was playing on Saturday, I of course was not). She said they worked well but were a lot heavier on her feet!

Friday some of us went to GI's house to prep the welcome baskets for tournament participants. Ni-Trick, Zooey, Dizzy, and Tawny along with GI and I made the prepping pretty easy and the baskets looked phenomenal!! (Pictures to be added)

The tournament was exhausting! Andy and I arrived at about 10am and helped set up. Rita was nice enough to do my make-up and I had ga-ga sparkles going on - lol. I ran the scoreboard during the first home game and expo game and it is a job I really enjoy. By the last game though, I already knew the outcome and was just tired. Brian convinced me I would have fun at the after party, and he was RIGHT! Don Quixote's karaoke bar was awesome when full of derby girls. Appetizers to eat, energy drinks, and LOTS of dancing with Banana, Meanie, Rose and many more!

Tourney recap:
TDB vs GCRG - shut out by green country 220 to 20
TDB vs TARG-A - CLOSE game but we squeezed out a win
TARG-B vs CORDA - very close but CORDA took the win, due in no small part to Faerie Mean
TARG-A vs GCRG - dominated by green country

1 comment:

  1. "Then an unremarkable scrimmage where I managed not to fall too much"

    this is all I aim for every week lol!

    keep it up... wish we had an organized off skate practice... I'd actually manage to get some more strength training in.

    ReplyDelete